Thursday, February 12, 2009

February '09 firing






72 hours of burning 2 cords of wood (a mix of oak, yew, cedar, and fir) 2 days of sleeping and eating afterwards, and I was unpacking some pretty interesting looking pots. I feel like the effects work better with the forms this time around; now I'm not sure yet if that's because the forms have morphed a bit, or if it's because the firing has improved (this being the 5th firing,) or a combination of the two........ probably the latter, regardless, I'm having a great time cleaning and investigating each one. I think next time I'll seal out oxygen while it cools and go for the more matte surfaces, for pleasure and to see more about what the cedar ash can do.
The above pics are a few pots I'm really diggin' for the moment and the chimney at fire-off.

1 comment:

Thomas Bumblauskas - WHIRLEDMUD said...

I read you only used 2 cords of wood for a 72 hr firing... how big is the kiln.
I fire a 20cubic smokeless and use 2.5 cords if wood over 30 hrs.